When performing general chemical applications, it is important to have the right fume hood in order to protect the lab technician from inhaling toxic vapors. Often, people tend to confuse a biosafety cabinet with a fume hood. There is to say that they are different devices, because these devices utilize particulate filters, which do not remove chemical vapors, and they should not be working with any kind of chemicals.
Fume Hood function
A fume hood is a ventilation system that exhausts chemical fumes, vapors, gasses, dust mist and aerosol. They serve as physical barriers between reactions and the laboratory operator, offering a great protection against any inhalation exposure, chemical spills, run-away reactions and fires. These devices have a box-like structure with a moveable sash window. An extract blower and ductwork constantly and safely ventilate these devices’ hood. Fume Hoods are used to protect lab environment and operator during general chemical applications. By installing proper filter, it can also protect the environment.
Laboratory fume hood
The way a fume hood functions is by maintaining a relatively negative pressure in the hood interior to prevent any contamination from escaping while drawing air in through the hood opening at a consistent rate. There are some recommendations to keep in mind when it comes to handling a fume hood:
- Do not put your head in the hood when contaminants are being generated.
- Minimize foot traffic by the face of the hood. Do not make fast movements when taking items in and out of the hood.
- Keep the hood sash closed as much as possible.
- Do not use the hood as a waste disposal mechanism. Solvent bottles in the fume hood must be capped when not in use.
Fume Hood specifications
This fume hood model has specific features that make it the ideal device to have in your laboratory. It has a LED screen that displays airflow level. In addition, it has water and gas taps included in the water sink. Moreover, its UV lamp emission is 253.7 nanometers for efficient decontamination and it has a double layered metal surface with melamine board inward. The measurements for this fume hood YR0102 model are 1000 mm x 750 mm x 2320 mm on the external size and 820 mm x 620 mm x 750 mm on the internal size.
- UV lamp for sterilization.
- Built-in centrifugal blower.
- Motorized front glass window.
- Adjustable air speed: 9 levels.
- Microprocessor control system, LED display.
- Double-layer structure: 1.2 mm sheet metal surface, melamine board inward.